Monday, September 29, 2008

A Yarn for Dad

My Dad has the hands of a craftsman and the mind of an engineer. So many times growing up I would see him studying an ornate metal gate or an intricately carved wooden table and I knew that he wasn't just memorizing the design, he was analyzing it for ways to improve it, make it better, more elaborate.

It was for that reason that I couldn't wait to introduce him to the mechanics of spinning during his recent visit here. I knew he would be facinated by the simple genius of the spinning wheel and respect the skill that operating it required.

It wasn't at all because I was hoping he would become obsessed with designing the perfect spinning wheel and insist that I test out the prototypes, so shame on you for thinking that!

The thing I noticed is how he gravitated toward the worsted yarns, as if he instinctively knew they required more skill and dedication.

I'm drawn to texture. I love things that remind me of moss growing on tree bark. I love torn up, dirty petty coats peaking out from under cocktail dresses.

But this last week I felt inspired to spin a yarn for Dad. I don't own combs, so I aligned the fibers on handcards. The shorter fibers weren't removed, so technically it's only a semi-worsted. I did spin short draw and set the twist with some weight.

By the way, this is from the fleece I mentioned at the end of last weeks blog.

This yarn is available for sale here http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=15726697

One last thing...

Our best wishes go out to the Homestead sheep in their special urgent mission to find homes for some needy llamas.

Peace.


No comments:

Post a Comment