Sunday, September 14, 2008

Straw into Gold

Ok, I know "straw into gold" is just about the most overused spinning folklore reference, but wait till you see what is on my my wheel right now.



And here is the fiber I'm spinning it from (ok, not exactly straw, I admit)











That pile of lusciousness is made up of guanaco, tussah silk, and suri alpaca. I bought one precious ounce of guanaco and wanted to see how far I could strech it. I left the guard hairs in, mixed in a little silk and suri, and spun it super thin. I wish you could feel these batts. They are so feather light. And there is absolutely no color or shimmer added to the fiber. The color is totally natural.


Here is some finished yarn. I'm planning on doing some open, airy lace work with this. Not that I really have a choice, this yarn screams "turn me into lace or I will haunt your dreams!"







So, every time I pull out my fiber, out comes the cat. No matter where he is in the house or how deep of sleep he was in, he rushes to my side. No to assist, but to interfere. I don't know if he just doesn't like my attention so focused on something that isn't him, or if he smells other animal scents in the house, but he gets so jealous. He will sit right next to my wheel and flick his little tale precariously close to it because it will make me stop spinning. He'll batt at my feet as I treadle. He'll cry and pout until, eventually, I give up and replace the roving on my lap with his warm, vibrating body. There are worse things, I guess.





Peace.

1 comment:

  1. Beauteous yarn for sure! Keep up the beautiful spinning!! Hope you have a happy weekend and enjoy that happy cat too!! The Ryan sheep

    ReplyDelete